Using chapters 19-21, respond to the following questions:
1. What factors explain the growing tensions between SNCC and SCLC and the increasing criticisms of Martin Luther King, Jr. by SNCC workers?
2. Explain how the Freedom Rides, the Birmingham Campaign, and the Selma-to Montgomery march became a crucial turning points in the civil rights struggles of the 1960s?
3. How successful were Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. in providing ideological and tactical guidance for the mass protests of the 1960s?
4. What was the purpose of the March on Washington? Did it achieve its goals?
5. Explain the emergence of and sudden popularity of the “Black Power” slogan