MODULE TITLE: CHALLENGING SHAKESPEARE
QUESTION: Tyrant or Hero? In light of this statement discuss the role of Prospero in The Tempest.
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
1. demonstrate through critical, language-focused, analysis in discussion and writing, detailed knowledge of the plays studied;
2. demonstrate understanding of and ability to apply one or more distinct theoretical perspectives to the study of the chosen plays (eg. New Historicism, Marxism, Post-Colonialism) at the appropriate level;
3. demonstrate detailed knowledge of the generic conventions governing Renaissance drama and of Shakespeare’s manipulation of these conventions;
4. demonstrate understanding of the dramatic concepts of Tragedy, History, Comedy and Pastoral;
5. apply knowledge of the social and cultural context of the early-seventeenth century to a critical reading of Shakespeare’s plays;
6. engage at an appropriate level with scholarship and academic criticism in the field of Shakespeare studies.